If however you aren't root, then you are a little on your own. I got it working with the following
- Grab a 32 bit libXv from somwehere, e.g. here
- Unpack it. In my case like this: rpm2cpio xorg-x11-libXv-32bit-7.5-1.8.x86_64.rpm | cpio -idmv
- Now push that libXv.so.1 some place sensible (I recommend ~/.local/lib)
- Export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$HOME/.local/lib/" or appropriate
- Start skype from within the reach of that export e.g. the same shell
All of this can be automated of course and is just a pointer for poor souls like me that take longer than 10 minutes to figure this out.