Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Shine a little light

It stood there all alone in the dark. Freezing cold as it was I could not help but emphasize with the poor thing. Of course it was a rather daunting atmosphere; a new moon had just begun its course and the stars were rather dim, the air was cold, the wind was stiff. So there it stood trying to hold its ground alone in the darkness. First I wasn't sure what the flickering light meant but then I came closer. The bulb was starting to show it's age, long hours of service had made it weary and it was gathering the last bit of life in it in a futile attempt to fulfill its duty. It was close to dying but still mustered the strength to try everything and perform honourably during its last fight.

Compassion filled me and I was trying to remember when i had last seen as much grandeur in my own life, let alone on myself. I was moved and wanted to help, but what could a simple person like me do? Still I moved on seeing I was not worthy staying in its presence about it.

To my surprise it was still fighting the next time I came to this place two days later and I could all but stop and wonder. It's pride and endurance were beyond my mental grasp i must say. I wished it well, moved on thinking about it for a very long time.

The next time i got there it was replaced by a younger recruit so it must have died in the meantime, but i am sure it was with honour. I thus vowed to pay my respects to it by trying to take it as an example and I encourage everybody to do the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment