Saturday, October 23, 2010

IPv6, dyndns and all the rest

I have a dream! And that is listening to music from my server without 10 minutes of foo to get it started. I am still working on a solution that is plug'n'play. There are two major solutions that i considered: A network audio system and a filesystem share with a local player.. Since Pulseaudio (and basically every other network audio solution except esd) doesn't have MacOS support and because my admin wouldn't install nfs and sshfs under Mac is a joke I am going to rely on esd.

Now that server needs to push its sound to me somehow and i wanted this to be done without thinking about firewalls, natting and the like. That is why i wanted it to work over IPv6 since this is virtually unfiltered in the networks i live in at the moment. The only problem is that i need to push the data not pull, so the server needs to know my ip. I thought: That's easy, just use dyndns.
What i didn't know is how difficult it is to get a dynamical dns provider that actually supports ipv6. I had a long list of services grabbed from some update client.
  • dyndns.* would have been my first choice, if it weren't for them only doing ipv6 in beta in their non-free custom dns scheme. 
  • freedns.afraid.org was next and it has a ipv6 enabled dns server which you get for free but you can't update it via the client api! :(
  • no-ip.com doesn't have v6 at all from what i could gather
  • ... 
By this time i was annoyed and googled more thoroughly again and found: majimoto. Now that guy is awesome. Seems to be a german who does web hosting in his spare time and was annoyed by the same things as i am and just made a free, client updatable ipv6 enabled dynamic dns available to the general public. YEAH! This guy deserves some applause.
Now onto esd :)
Update:  Joshua from afraid.org answered me and yes it is supported just not officially:
"If you create a IPv4 A record, go to 'dynamic DNS' and get the update URL, you can then append &address=<ipv6 address> (without <>'s) and it will convert the record into a AAAA record "

No comments:

Post a Comment